Tuesday 27 September 2016

Come Dine with Me - SA style!

Vegetarian Babotie



On island a group of teachers have clubbed together in solidarity with food, wine and tales of amusement from our classrooms. As 4/6 are English we have brought our home 4,800 miles to Grand Cayman by carrying out a monthly (well if our calendars allow) Come Dine with Me. 

Set by the latest contestant, Jenna from Cape Town, the theme this month was South Africa. As it was, she was the only one not to prepare a South African dish! 

When the theme was posted on our WhatsApp group I was overjoyed! Yes, I finally get to recreate my foster mum's dish. As a teen babotie was always served as Susan's specialty. A family recipe she bought over from Zimbabwe. I was so proud to share this amazing dish with my island friends.

Typically babotie (bab-or-tee) is made with mutton or minced beef but as I'm in the early stages of vegetarianism I decided to experiment with the recipe by using lentils instead.

I made mine for a dinner party but this recipe will serve approximately 4. If I'm honest, I never follow recipes stringently. I see how things go by using a handful here, dolop there or just a pinch more.

INGREDIENTS 


  • 250 g lentils (I soaked these overnight in order to remove phytic acid)
  • 1 large onion, diced
  • 1 large fresh tomato, diced
  • 2 teaspoons curry powder
  • 1 teaspoon turmeric
  • salt and pepper
  • 4 tablespoons chutney
  • 1 large handful raisins
  • 40 g sliced almonds
  • 3 large carrots

For the topping


  • 3 eggs 
  • 100 -150 ml almond milk 
  • A few bay leaves (Arranged strategically on the top :-)

DIRECTIONS


  1. After soaking rinse lentils until water runs clear. 
  2. Cover lentils with water and pre-cook for 30min (you may need to top the water up from time to time).
  3. Drain lentils.
  4. Preheat oven to 150C.
  5. Saute onion and tomato.
  6. Add curry, tumeric, salt and pepper.
  7. Cook for 1-2 minutes.
  8. Add raisins, almonds, carrot, chutney, onion and tomato to lentils.
  9. Mix and place in baking dish.
  10. Shake up topping ingredients and pour over lentils.
  11. Place in oven and bake for 1-1/2 hours (egg topping should have risen all the way to the middle.

At IIN there is a focus on 'primary food' and how this truly feeds us. Primary food is more than what is on your plate; it focuses on healthy relationships, regular physical activity, a fulfilling career and a spiritual practice can fill your soul and satisfy your hunger for life. When primary food is balanced and satiating, your life feeds you, making what you eat secondary.

Susan's face, Emma, Davina, Me & Karen (Jenna had scrambled before the rum came out).
Come Dine with Me definitely feeds my 'Primary Food'.

Next month is back to me hosting...and its on my birthday! Hmmmm what theme shall we tackle this time?!?!?




No comments:

Post a Comment